On Wed. June 29, 2018 Union Fire Department was dispatched to the Union Public Library for a reported white powder that came out of a returned book. Upon arrival it was discovered that five employees were exposed to the unknown product and one of the employees was coughing continuously. The Fire Department immediately secured access points to the building, had the building evacuated, did a complete search of the building and set up a victim tracking coordinator who captured patron’s name as they exited the building.
The five exposed employees were separated from the rest of the people in the library and were sent to EMS for assessment and vitals. Union County HazMat was requested to respond and upon their arrival they were equipped with Level B suits with self-contained breathing apparatus and meters. Union Fire Department members were assigned as the rapid intervention crew team for HazMat. Hazmat Equipment indicated that the unknown product was Adenine Sulphate which HazMat indicated is used in gardening and is not hazardous.
The Book and the bag it was in were discarded and the scene was turned over to Union Police Department to investigate the individual who returned the book.No injuries were reported and five individuals refused medical attention. The book was a GED prep book.
For additional information, please contact the Township of Union Office of Public Information at 908-851-5096 or via email at email@example.com